Ross Boyd Wealth Limited

Many clients of RBL are and have been achieving great results. Many of these businesses have started off small, early stage businesses and have grown substantially.

Aligned with our advice on business strategy, corporate finance and taxation, we believe it’s important that business owners take personal wealth management advice to ensure that they are adequately protected and are adequately investing for their future in retirement.

Both the issue of protection and pension advice are extremely difficult for business owners, where both cash flows and reserves vary from period to period, and personal financial planning needs to be closely integrated with corporate financial planning. RBL is authorised to provide a range of investment advice to business owners, and works with a range of independent financial advisors to provide personal wealth management advice.

Contact Ross Boyd Wealth Limited to find out more

Ross Boyd Wealth Limited is a company registered in Northern Ireland (company number NI629882). Ross Boyd Wealth Limited is an appointed representative of Lifetime Wealth Planning Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (company number NI63368).

Client Protection

Your adviser will always endeavor to ensure that the products recommended are suitable for you. If you are being advised on regulated products (including investments, insurance and some forms of mortgages), you have the protection of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

If you are not satisfied with the advice or service you have received, you should in the first instance, contact us to register your complaint by writing to:-

The Compliance Officer

Lifetime Wealth Planning Ltd
Arthur House
41 Arthur Street

Alternatively, you can telephone us on 02895320155. A summary of our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request.

If you are still unhappy, you may be entitled to refer your complaint to the FOS who will investigate the complaint independently and make a ruling. Full details of how to contact the FOS together with information about how to complain are available from their website – or by telephoning 0800 023 4 567.